Small businesses working with limited resources are often overshadowed by competition from larger businesses with larger marketing budgets. And yet, small businesses need to outshine competitors and distinguish themselves from the rest, just like the big guys. So what to do? By incorporating affordable yet effective audio solutions such as Message On Hold, Overhead Announcements, Background Music, and Podcasts, small businesses can match their larger competitors when it comes to brand awareness, customer communication, and customer satisfaction.
First impressions are extremely important to small businesses. The chances of your Message On Hold being a prospect’s first impression of your business is likely, therefore should be capitalized on. By incorporating a professional and informative hold message into your business’s marketing tactics you can enhance the perceived image of your brand. And during call transfers and peak hours, an effective on hold message has the potential to decrease caller hang-ups and keep callers on the line longer, ready to do business.
Small Business Message On Hold Ideas:
- Tell callers about current or upcoming sales.
- Explain what makes your business unique from competitors.
- Answer FAQ’s.
- Announce time-sensitive information like upcoming events or limited time offers.
- Introduce new products.
- Provide alternate forms of communication like where callers can find you on social media.
A podcast is another word for audio blog. Content is delivered in an interesting, informative message that packages content and personality. Providing your target audience with useful podcasts will increase the opportunity to build a following and reach your clients and prospects. Podcasts are extremely affordable and effective. The more creative and engaging you are, the better!
Small Business Podcast Ideas:
- Answer FAQ’s
- Interview an industry expert
- Give information on upcoming events, products, or services.
- Turn your company newsletter into a podcast. Talk about what has been going on at your company.
- Give listeners a set of tips about a particular topic related to your business.
For retail stores, or businesses where customers are often physically present, overhead announcements are an effective marketing tool used to target the already captive audience–in-store or onsite customers. This particular audience is already interested in what your business offers, so overhead announcements serve as the perfect marketing opportunity to further engage them.
Small Business Overhead Announcements Ideas:
- Promote new products or services.
- Market a product or service that can potentially cause a significant financial gain or higher profit margin.
- Business branding
- Announce current or upcoming sales.
- Inform customers about your business hours, or holiday schedules.
For retail stores, or certain types of businesses, background music can be a productive element. If overhead announcements are not appropriate for a retail store, music is still a viable and desirable option. Music triggers emotional responses. In a retail business setting, the emotional response can enhance the shopping experience. Background music should be chosen based on the theme of your store, and should fit the interests of customer demographics, and the products and services you offer.
Background Music Information:
- If the customer likes the music your business is playing, they are more likely to stay in your store longer and come back more often.
- Music played loudly and at a fast tempo with increase perceived time duration. If customers are waiting in line at the register or fitting rooms, the wait time may seem longer than it actually is.
- Softer and slower music are responded to more positively than louder and faster music.
- Rhythm and tempo have the greatest influence on shopper experience.
Small businesses can captivate and impress potential customers using these and other audio marketing strategies. If it can be communicated via sight, the same message can probably be communicated through sound, either to reinforce or to reach people in a non-visual setting. With professionally produced audio messages you will reach and influence more potential customers, stand out from the competition, and help your small business grow.